Do you use jelly on your toast? Maybe for your kid’s sandwich’s?
I live for EASE with my food and I wanted a healthier option.
If you want to make your own jam or jelly you’ll realize two things. It is so much work and is time consuming. And it requires tons of SUGAR.
I remembered that Chia seeds, when added to liquid, thickens and becomes gelatinous. This is when I decided to experiment making this EASY DIY Berry Chia Jam.
It became an instant love for everyone.
You can substitute this healthy jam anywhere that calls for jelly.
So good on toast, muffins, in yogurt, oatmeal or cookies!
Chia is great for helping keep you regular because of all the fiber content and it contains omega 3’s and vitamin C to keep your immune system happy!
All you need is
- Mixed frozen (or fresh) organic berries
- Lemon juice or 1 drop lemon essential oil
- Chia seeds
- Maple syrup or Monk Fruit Syrup
For the syrup I add more or less based on taste. Fruit is naturally sweetened with it’s own sugars, so its up to you if you want to add additional sweetener or syrup to.
Give it a whirl!
Simple Berry Chia Jam
- 2 cup organic frozen berries or fresh
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice or 1 drop lemon essential oil (see above)
- 2-3 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or monk fruit syrup
- Combine the berries and lemon in a sauce pan over low heat.
- Cover and stir frequently until they start to cook down. Break up the berry lumps as much as possible.
- Remove from the stove and add the rest of the ingredients
- Stir/mash until desired consistency.
- Store in a sealed glass container up to 2 weeks.