What to do with all your garden zucchini but make a chowder! Soaking up the last moments of summer over here by using up my fresh veggies. This was the perfect for dinner paired with gluten free and dairy free homemade garlic bread. I actually made a double batch of this chowder so we can have some to freeze for later.
Corn and Zucchini Chowder
- 1 tbsp grass fed butter (or ghee )
- 2 strips uncured bacon* (chopped)
- 1 cup yellow onion (chopped (1 medium onion)
- 2 organic celery ribs (chopped)
- 1 organic carrot (chopped )
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 2 medium russet potatoes (peeled and diced 1/2 inch cubes)
- 2 cups organic low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups organic non-gmo corn (or 4-5 ears of corn (cut kernels off cob) )
- 1 medium zucchini (diced into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1 cup coconut creamer* (or organic half and half )
- salt and pepper
In a dutch oven melt butter over medium heat then add bacon and cook until it starts to brown.
Add the onion, celery, garlic, carrots and thyme and saute for about 5 minutes or until veggies begin to soften.
Add potatoes, water, broth and bay leaf.
Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 10 minutes. Potatoes should be almost cooked.
Add the zucchini and corn and simmer for another 10 minutes or until veggies are tender.
Remove the bay leaf then transfer about 2 cups of chowder to a blender and puree until smooth. Add the pureed mixture back to the pot then add creamer and salt and pepper.
- Bacon for 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Half and half for full fat coconut milk in can
- Butter for oil or ghee