Ditch the High Fructose Corn Syrup sauce and make your own easy peasy good for you clean eating orange chicken.
Tasty tasty, ooey gooey orange sauce but without all the nasties, preservatives and high fructose corn syrup that comes along with takeout.
Often, big brands trade out more natural sweeteners for less-expensive artificial ones, like high fructose corn syrup and “natural flavors”. In reality, it’s one of the worst types of sugar you can consume. It’s a major ingredient in a lot of foods these days as it’s cheap to produce.
Why is it a problem? Our ancestors didn’t eat fructose other than the amount that was naturally included in fruit and some vegetables. Your liver can metabolize fructose to a large extent but when it reaches the tipping point, it starts turning it into fat instead and this is where the health problems begin.
Eating too much fructose can make your liver inflamed and start building up fat. It also encourages uric acid to be produced, which raises your blood pressure and can even lead to gout.
Simple swaps in your diet makes all the difference.
Clean Eating Orange Chicken
- 2 tbsp rice wine
- 4 tbsp water
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 1/2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1 organic orange zest and juice
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 1 large organic bell pepper or 2 medium peppers
- 1/4 cup organic shredded carrots
- Make the sauce by combining all sauce ingredients in a bowl or mason jar. Set aside.
- In a large pan, brown the chicken in 1 tbsp oil. Cook whole until a good crust forms before breaking it apart.
- Meanwhile, dice the peppers and shred carrots (if not already shredded).
- Finish breaking up the ground chicken with a spatula for 2-3 min more.
- Once chicken is cooked, add garlic, ginger, cayenne and cook for 1 minute.
- In a small dish, mix 1 tbsp arrowroot and 1 tsp water. Add cornstarch mixture to the chicken and combine.
- Saute chopped peppers in avocado oil in a different pan or next to the browned chicken. Add bell peppers and shredded carrots to the chicken mixture.
- Toss the mixture with sauce and serve warm over lettuce wraps.