The best thing about this recipe is that the spaghetti squash alone or the entire dish can be prepped ahead of time. You can either roast the spaghetti squash in the oven according to the recipe directions or using my favorite quick and easy 2 minute Instant Pot method
Caramelized Onion Spaghetti Squash
- 1 2 lb spaghetti squash
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 yellow onion peeled and sliced into strips
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms
- 1 cup organic kale
- 1/4 tsp rosemary
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Slice squash in half and remove seeds and guts from both halves. Place on a baking sheet and drizzle olive oil on both sides of squash then place face down.
- Add to oven and cook for 35-45 minutes. Should be tender to touch when piercing the flesh with fork. Option: Use my Instant Pot method (in notes above) to cook the spaghetti squash even faster.
- While squash is roasting, melt butter and 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium high in a large skillet.
- Add onions to skillet, stirring occasionally. After a few minutes add mushrooms.
- After 10 minutes, the onions should start to caramelize.
- Add kale to skillet and continue mixing everything together until onions turn golden brown.
- After squash is done cooking, remove from oven, place the halves up and let sit for 10 minutes or so.
- Use a fork to scrape out the spaghetti like strands then add to the onion mixture in the skillet. Add in seasonings and serve!