Plant based Mexican Black Bean Casserole– Easy weeknight dinner ready in just under 30 minutes! If are looking for a Mexican flare this Mexican black bean casserole will be sure to satisfy your taste buds and keep you feeling full for hours. Better yet it’s 100% vegan, dairy- free and gluten-free.Try it as a easy meatless weeknight dinner or quick lunch. Its a perfect meal prep dish and calls for simple pantry staple ingredients too with a simple cilantro lime rice or just regular rice if you want to keep it even more simple. Want to make it a meat dish? Sub the chickpeas for grilled or rotisserie chicken or steak!
What’s in this Mexican Black Bean Casserole?
- Brown rice OR riced cauliflower
- Crushed tomatoes
- Black beans
- Chick peas
- Green bell pepper
- Red bell pepper
- Green onion
How do you make the casserole?
What’s totally fun about this recipe is you can add or swap out any of the veggies for whatever suits your fancy. Don’t like mushrooms? Opt for more peppers. Looking for more protein, add kidney beans. Looking for a low carb alternative, try swapping brown rice for cooked quinoa.
Originally when I first tried this recipe, I found it easiest to just mix everything together and through it in a baking dish to bake. But I found it best to layer! Starting with the rice and tomatoes on the bottom of the casserole dish first and then add the remaining ingredients to a bowl and mix. Be sure to layer over the top of the rice and tomato mixture. Cook for 25 minutes
Pro Tip: Use the same bowl to mix the ingredients to avoid additional cleaning
Of course I like to top with avocado slices and sliced green onions. Maybe even opt for a dollop of Forager Unsweetened Plain Cashew Yogurt if your feeling up to it!
Mexican Black Bean Casserole
- Casserole Dish
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 28 oz can organic crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1/2 cup organic non-gmo corn or frozen
- 1 cup cooked organic black beans drained if using canned
- 1/4 cup cooked organic chick peas drained if using canned
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp coconut sugar optional
- 1 tsp minced garlic or 2 cloves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp fresh basil chopped or 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped or 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 organic red bell pepper chopped
- 1 organic green bell pepper chopped
- 1 organic green onion sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a medium bowl add rice and 1/4 cup of the crushed tomatoes and mix well. Transfer to a casserole dish and layer the rice mixture along the bottom.
- In the same bowl, add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Then layer over the top of the rice and tomato mixture.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes.
- Top with sliced green onions and a dollop of sour cream or Forager Unsweetened Cashew Yogurt !