Chicken Fajita Bowls
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 large onion sliced into thick rings
- 1 organic bell pepper sliced into strips
- 3 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts
- avocado sliced
- 1 medium organic tomato cut into chunks
- juice of lime
- 1 cup salsa, pico de gallo or sour cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 organic bell pepper
- 2 strips onion
- salt and pepper
- Cook rice according to package directions. Let stand for 5 minutes while covered.
- Brush olive oil all over the bell peppers and chicken. Season chicken and peppers with salt and pepper and fajita seasoning.
- Add the whole peppers and onion rings to the pan and grill peppers for about 4-5 minutes per side and onions until they are tender. Remove from heat and transfer to a cutting board.
- Let cool and cut the bell peppers into strips and chop the onion. Transfer to a bowl and add lime juice and salt and pepper. Toss until combined.
- Next cook the chicken in the same pan until thoroughly cooked.
- While chicken cooks, slice the tomato and avocado.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board, let cool then slice into strips.
- For cilantro sauce: In a food processor, puree 1 bell pepper, 1/4 cup water a couple strips of onion, cilantro and pinch of salt.
- Add the cilantro sauce to the rice and stir to combine. Divide the rice into 4 containers or bowls.
- Top with peppers, onions, chicken, tomato and avocado slices. Optional to add sour cream or salsa.