Your family favorite meal just got a healthy makeover! Protein-packed, gluten-free, plant-based skillet veggie lasagna.
Simple weeknight meal
High in Fiber
Lasagna was a family classic in our Italian family but it was full of hard to digest carbs, loaded with conventional cheese and lots of meat. I didn’t want to have to give up eating a classic dish even thought it made me feel yucky so I decided to take a twist on our family favorite with this plant based one pan skillet version. It’s super simple totaling a whopping 10 minutes of prep time and no boiling of the noodles!
I created this one pan skillet lasagna for simplified dinners during the week. Still doesn’t replace a REAL lasagna, but I’ll be sharing my #1 requested and fan fav, spaghetti squash lasagna/casserole very soon!
I topped it off with my a few dollops of my homemade cashew cream cheese to replace the usual ricotta filling that’s in lasagna. Check out my recipe here. I used these lentil flour lasagna noodles for a low carb, high protein alternative,, to!
My cashew cheese has a hint of nutty flavor because I add nutritional yeast flakes for B vitamins and an extra boost of iron! It’s creamy, dreamy and so delicious.
Skillet Veggie Lasagna
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 organic bell pepper diced
- 1 organic summer squash chopped
- 16 oz mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups organic pasta sauce
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 6 lasagna noodles, uncooked 1 inch pieced
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup almond ricotta (at Whole Foods) or cashew cheese
- 1 tbsp basil
- salt and pepper
- Add oil to a skillet over medium heat. Cook onion, pepper for 5 minutes. Add garlic, squash and mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in the sauce, water and noodles and cover until boiling. Reduce heat to low and add nutritional yeast cooking another 10 minutes until noodles are tender. Uncover, remove from heat and add the ricotta or cashew cheese spoonfuls and basil over the top. Serve hot!