Servings: 4 servings
- 8 portobello mushroom caps
- 3 tbsp avocado oil plus 2 cups of oil for frying
- 1/2 head red cabbage shredded
- 1 small onion
- 1 tsp carraway seeds
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 cup chickpea breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven on broil and place caps on a baking sheet grill side up. Broil until they release their juices for about 7 minutes.
- Flip mushrooms over and brush with 1 tbsp oil and broil until the juices cook out (about 7 minutes).
- Meanwhile, thinly slice cabbage and onion. Heat about 2 tbsp oil over medium heat in skillet and add cabbage and onion slices, caraway and salt. Cook until cabbage is crisp then add in vinegar and 2 tbsp water and cook until reduced. Add in parsley and salt and pepper.
- While cabbage cooks, heat 1/2 inch of oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Take out 3 shallow bowls. Lightly beat the eggs with dash of salt and add to one bowl. Add flour to another bowl, add breadcrumbs to another bowl. Press mushroom caps on paper towels to absorb any excess liquid. Start by coating in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs and add to skillet, frying 2 minutes per side until crisped. Repeat with all 4 mushrooms.
- Drain on paper towels and put over cabbage along with an optional side of organic no sugar added applesauce!
Substitutions: *almond flour = unbleached organic wheat flour, 1:1 gluten free flour blend, chickpea flour *avocado oil = organic vegetable oil *chickpea breadcrumbs = clean breadcrumbs with 2-3 ingredients