Sweet potato and black bean quesadillas take a plant-based twist with this Tex-Mex classic. An appetizer on taco night the entire family will love! Sweet potatoes aren’t only for Thanksgiving. This recipe provides you with a new way to love sweet potatoes all year long and are the perfect app for taco night! I’ve made these a couple times now and they were a hit in our house! Even the leftovers served as a perfect snack.
Sweet potatoes are not in the same family as regular potatoes. They orange color provides tons of vitamin A and beta carotene. High in good quality fat and are high in vitamins B6, C and E as well as potassium and magnesium. Check out my other sweet potato creations in my Recipes section.
Looking for there another plant-based twist on taco night? Try these stuffed sweet potato skins here.
Because I like to opt for dairy free, I served these with my favorite Forager Cashew Yogurt and organic salsa! I try to limit my flour intake so I opted for mini corn tortillas that I found at Whole Foods. They worked out wonderfully for these sweet potato quesadillas!
Thankfully sweet potatoes are easy to prepare so it makes meal prepping this appetizer a breeze. If you are looking for some more fiber I suggest leaving on the skins but make sure to clean the outside of the skin and scrub that potato with a brush so you get all the dirt off! Oh and opt for organic sweet potatoes because these guys are on the Dirty Dozen list.
FOOD PREP TIP: Food combining makes things easy. Try to coordinate your meals for the week by incorporating one ingredient in a couple different dishes. In this case we are using sweet potatoes so they can be served as a side of mashed sweet taters one night, these quesadillas another night and baby food for your under 1 year old!
The easiest way to get you some mashed taters is to just cut potatoes into chunks and steam/boil. Transfer to a bowl and mash. Let cool and store in an airtight container in your fridge to use as needed.
Let’s get to the filling. So can you guess what’s inside and it’s not much. Sweet potatoes, obv! organic black beans, onions, Ghee (for some additional healthy fats)and your favorite toppings like Daiya cheez shreds.
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quesadillas
- 2 sweet potatoes cut into chunks
- 1 can organic black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 /2 small onion diced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- salsa for dipping
- 6 organic corn tortillas (6-inch) or 8 (3-inch) tortillas
- Preheat oven to 450 . Meanwhile boil a pot of water over medium-high heat.
- Peel the sweet potato and cut into chunks.
- Add the sweet potato to the pot and cook until tender (using a fork to check)
- Dice the onion and set aside.
- When done, add sweet potatoes and ghee to a medium bowl and mash. Fold in black beans, onion and chili powder.
- Lay the tortillas out on a baking tray and scoop a spoonful or two of the mixture onto each tortilla. Add additional toppings if desired.
- Fold the tortillas in half and press together gently. Place in oven for 2-3 minutes until slightly toasted. If using larger tortillas I suggest cutting in quarters.
- Serve with a side of organic salsa for dipping!