A healthy twist on the classic shepard’s pie. This is a plant-based meal the entire family will love and it would make the perfect entree for holiday gatherings! So versatile even vegans AND meat-eater’s will love and enjoy it. This is a perfect one to meal prep with because it can easily be made in advance and warmed up or reheated throughout the week for dinner or quick meals! Of course it’s kid-friendly to and is a perfect way for them to get a a nice healthy balanced meal without the stress.
I like to start with my prepping first; so shredding, chopping, dicing etc and set it aside making cooking a bit more organized! If your anything like me when you cook or food prep your kitchen may look like you don’t have it all together and your counters are just covered with all the goods and kitchen gadgets but in reality you know exactly what you are doing ! 😉
So I started by shredding fresh carrots to make the dish more nutritious and keeping it REAL with REAL ingredients.
I don’t mind using frozen veggies for certain things and if I do (like this recipe) I also like to add fresh ingredients to. Like fresh cooked lentils! Your welcome to use already cooked if you are short on time but fresh is always the better option.
Once all your veggies are cooked and everything is all mixed together spread it evenly in the pan. I even added some diced tomatoes to add some more juiciness to the dish. Totally optional!
Then top with the fluffy sweet potato and coconut oil mixture, bake in the oven and voila! Now take a heaping heavenly scoop. Your gut will thank you for nourishing your body taste buds, mind and soul this holiday!
Sweet Potato Shepard’s Pie
- 3 sweet potatoes cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1/2 cup uncooked lentils
- 4 cups organic vegetable stock optional to cook lentils in, or water
- 1 medium carrot grated
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 10oz bag frozen organic vegetables I use peas
- 1/2 package mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp thyme or 2 tsp fresh
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil (melted) or avocado oil
- salt & pepper
- Cook lentils according to package directions using water/broth and set aside. Reserve some of the broth for extra liquid later on.
- Place sweet potatoes in a pot of water until they are covered. Add salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Then reduce to medium-high heat and cook for 15-20 minutes until soft. (Test by sticking fork in it and if it comes out easily they are ready)
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Once potatoes are cooked, drain and transfer to a large mixing bowl and mash until smooth then add coconut oil and season with paprika and salt and pepper to taste then set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in frying pan over low – medium heat and add onions, mushrooms and garlic and cook until just softened.
- Stir in frozen peas, grated carrot, thyme and Worcestershire and season with salt and pepper. Fold in the lentils (shouldn't be too watery though!)
- Transfer lentil and vegetable mixture to the 8×8 baking dish and spread evenly. Top with mashed sweet potato and spread evenly over the mixture with a fork.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until potatoes start to turn golden brown. For maximum flavor, let sit before serving to allow everything to combine.
For all you meal preppers food preparer, food prep fans, simply skip step 3 (baking) the day that you prepare this dish and save it for night you eat this for dinner. Arrange everything in the baking dish and cover with foil. I like to put the Name of Recipe and Cook Time Instructions right on the foil to keep everything a breeze during the busy week!